This course provides learners with an insight into psychology & social studies. It provides a combination of theoretical and practical training in childhood, adolescence, disabilities, and older people care. Students will learn about various roles, and gain experience of working in a caring environment.
- Human Growth and Development
- Work Experience
- Care Provision and Practice
- Social Studies
- Intellectual Disability Studies
- Child Development
- First Aid
- Safety and Health at Work
All our Level 5 PLC courses are open to school leavers (Leaving Cert/ Leaving Cert Applied Students/A Levels/GCSE or equivalent), QQI Level 4 graduates and mature applicants. A QQI Level 5 award is a prerequisite to access a Level 6 programme.
Progression To Degrees
DkIT | Community Youthwork | Level 7
DkIT | Social Care | Level 8
TU Dublin | Social Care Levels 7& 8
IT Carlow | Applied Social Studies | Level 8
Maynooth University | Social Science | Level 8
MIE | BA Education | Level 8k
Graduates progress to employment in various areas including:
Nursing Home Support Assistant | Childcare Practitioner in Crèche/Hospital | An Garda Siochana & Defence Forces | Teacher Training
This course was the best thing I ever did and completely changed my life. The help and support I got from all my teachers gave me the confidence to excel and achieve my full potential.
I have been accepted into a Degree course in Social Care as a result of doing well in this course and now I have the confidence and skills to pursue the career that I always dreamed of having. I would highly recommend doing this this course as preparation for a degree.
2020-21 Course Fees
Note - Some courses may require the learner to purchase relevant industry-specific material for their own use which may not be included in the list of course fees.
€30 of Enrolment Fees are Non-Refundable. All fees subject to change.
The following categories of participant are exempt from paying the PLC Government Levy:
- Medical Card/SUSI Grant/Back to Education Allowance Holders may be exempted from PLC Government Levy. Documentary Evidence must be presented immediately to avail of such exemptions.
- Medical Card/Back to Education Allowance Holders may be exempted from QQI Exam Fees. Documentary Evidence must be presented immediately to avail of such exemptions.