This one year course prepares learners to work with people in various care settings including hospitals, residential care settings and nursing homes. This programme is ideal for both school leavers and mature applicants wishing to gain the necessary skills for a career in healthcare.
- Nursing Theory and Practice
- Care of the Older Person
- Care Skills
- Human Growth & Development
- Care Support
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Safety & Health at Work
- Word Processing
- Work Experience
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults
- First Aid
- Patient Moving and Handling
- Hand Hygiene and Infection Control
All our Level 5 PLC courses are open to school leavers (Leaving Cert/ Leaving Cert Applied Students/A Levels/GCSE or equivalent), QQI Level 4 graduates and mature applicants. A QQI Level 5 award is a prerequisite to access a Level 6 programme.
Progression To Degrees
WIT | Applied Health Care | Level 7
DCU, TCD, DkIT, UCD | General Nursing | Level 8
DCU, TCD, UCD | Mental Health Nursing | Level 8
DCU, TCD, DkIT | Intellectual Disability Nursing | Level 8
UCD, TCD, DkIT | Midwifery | Level 8
DkIT | Mental Health Nursing | Level 8
Graduates progress to employment in various areas including:
Care Assistant in Nursing Homes or Hospitals | Activity Coordinator | Personal Assistant in Schools | Care Assistant in Disability Services | Homecare Assistant
2020-21 Course Fees
Note - Some courses may require the learner to purchase relevant industry-specific material for their own use which may not be included in the list of course fees.
€30 of Enrolment Fees are Non-Refundable. All fees subject to change.
The following categories of participant are exempt from paying the PLC Government Levy:
- Medical Card/SUSI Grant/Back to Education Allowance Holders may be exempted from PLC Government Levy. Documentary Evidence must be presented immediately to avail of such exemptions.
- Medical Card/Back to Education Allowance Holders may be exempted from QQI Exam Fees. Documentary Evidence must be presented immediately to avail of such exemptions.